Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Country Dolls





I enjoy making these country dolls. I have made four and am working on a fifth. I give them away to friends and family; one of these days I'll keep one for myself!

I sew the dolls with muslin fabric and stuff them with polyfill. I use fabric for the dress and solid colored fabric to match for the bloomers, and vintage dresser scarfs to make the aprons, or else I crochet them. I crochet edging around the hem of the dress and sleeves, and sometimes at the dress collar. For their hair I use either ready-made doll hair or yarn. For these dolls, I painted on black shoes, but the one I'm making now will have felted booties.


I paint (or stitch) the faces on and I never know what personality will arise in the expression. It gives a certain kind of magic to the creative process.

2 comments:

Stella Jones said...

I had to come and have another look at your dolls Aleta. I like their expressions. I know, cos I've made a few of them myself, how the faces never come out the same. Yours are lovely. Well done.
Blessings, Star

Aleta said...

Thank you, Star! I do love how each doll displays its own personality!
Thanks for visiting!